Wednesday 1 July 2015

Color Blocking

It's time for the wonderful Freshly Made Sketch Challenge to unveil the latest sketch!  This week it's the talented Rita's turn and she has designed a fun sketch that screamed "color blocking" to me.


My card was inspired by a dress I saw worn by the blonde girl on Dog with a Blog - a show my son watches and I abhor, but it was playing in the same room and I couldn't avoid it!


I started with the Comic Strip Cover Plate and black cardstock then cut it down and flipped it over to suit the sketch.  I used Island Blue, Green Apple and Audrey Blue cardstock to fill the gaps.

I die-cut the Hugs word and stacked it four deep, using three white layers and one black layer.

A few black enamel dots and my stamp-free card was done.


Thanks for visiting!  Check out how the rest of the design team have used this sketch.

Products used:

Cardstock:  White, black, Island Blue, Audrey Blue, Green Apple
Accessories:  Big Hugs die, Comic Strip Cover Plate (PTI)

Cheers
Karren

15 comments:

Hannelie said...

Oh Karren this is so what I love ! You did a fabulous job creating a card with this sketch!
Everything just work here. CAS perfection :)

Lee Ann Barrett said...

Holy cow! This is soooo fantastic! Love every single bit of this, Karren!

Linda Callahan said...

I love this bold graphic design! The hugs is a great die cut! And the colors are fabulous......must have been a great dress!

Jen Mitchell said...

I've got to say that I watched the first two episodes of that show and never watched it again. I'm surprised you can see it in NZ. Unless you've got the original version and we've got a bad imitation of it! And you're right this sketch is perfect for your color blocking. The colors go together so well and I love that big ol' die cut sentiment!

Joan Ervin said...

I just love your take on the sketch...what an awesome CAS design!!!!

foleysfriend said...

I love your card! It's perfect. Now, trying to figure how I'm going to put my "spin" on this when I don't have the comic strip cover plate!

LeAnne said...

Awesome! I would feel very hugged if I got this card in the mail!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

LOVE the graphic look of this colour blocking Karren! Thanks for the inspiration at FMS! Have a lovely weekend! Hazel xx

Rita W said...

Bold and fabulous! I love this, Karren!

Marika said...

Wow!! So striking and love how you were inspired! I actually had time to play along this week, your sketch saved my card.

Jen Timko said...

*Smacking head with hand* Why didn't I think of color blocking??!!! This is FAB-U-LOUS!

Jen Brum said...

Such a great card Karren! I love those bold blocks of colour! So fabulous! It all stands out so nicely against the white! I abhor Dog with a Blog and thankfully my kids are young enough that I can still tell them they can't watch it!!!

Mona Pendleton said...

Simply wonderful Karren! Thanks for the inspiration!

Cindy Hall said...

I love how you used the color blocking for this sketch! It's so clean and fresh, and the colors from that inspired you look perfect on this card! I all looks fabulous with the bold black.

Kim S said...

Fabulous color blocking - absolutely eye-catching!