Wednesday 15 June 2016

Sympathy Lily


Hi and welcome!  It's my turn to host over at Freshly Made Sketches and I've come up with a simple sketch this week:


When I designed this sketch, I was thinking about how I should really try some partial die-cutting, so the sketch was designed with that in mind.  Now,in a little glimpse into our DT, we have an occasional issue called The Curse of Your Own Sketch.  What this means is that often the designer of the sketch has trouble making a decent card with their own sketch!  This was one of those times for me.  This wasn't what I had in mind when I designed the sketch, but I did get to try out partial die-cutting, so I suppose it's half a win :)




I die-cut the top half of this lily onto some X-Press It cardstock and then stamped the image before coloring it.  I struggled to get a good contrast with my colors so need to look for another yellow Copic combo, I think.  I stamped the sentiment (in the wrong place, I might add!) and then adhered it to the stenciled card base using foam tape.


Thanks for visiting!  The design team have made some wonderful cards with my sketch so please check them out.  I look forward to seeing everyone's creations in the gallery.


Products Used:

Stamps:  Thinking of You (Clearly Besotted)
Ink:  Black Licorice Hybrid (MFT), Tumbled Glass Distress
Cardstock:  White, Z-Press It
Dies:  Thinking of You
Accessories:  Copics, Large Grid Stencil (MFT)

Cheers
Karren

14 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

Oh I have been a victim of that curse myself! Looks like you worked through it just fine.....love the partial diecut! The flowers are beautiful against the inked backdrop! Great sketch!

I Card Everyone said...

Not a thing cursed about your gorgeous card, Karren!!! OH I do hope I can play along - I LOve your sketch!!! xx
=]

Rosemary said...

stunning take on the sketch, karren!! love it!

Petra Swart said...

Oh, WOW, absolutely FABULOUS, Karren!!!! What a beautiful lily stamp and it looks wonderful against the softly stencilled bg!!!! You've made a great card with your great sketch - will definitely play along!!!!
Hugz

Amy O said...

Gorgeous card, Karren! I love that stenciled background and beautiful flower. And I'm impressed with your partial die-cutting. Oh, I could learn so much from you if we just lived closer together.

Jen Timko said...

Wow. Just wow!! The coloring, the background....they all go together perfectly. Thanks for a great sketch this week.

Kara Lynne said...

Well Karren, I just don't see the curse - it's a wonderful card! Your stenciled background is great with your partial cut flowers!

SonjaK said...

Love your sketch, Karren. It's so very versatile. Would really love to play along but don't know if I find the time. I find your card is great too, but I know what you mean by having a hard time with one's own sketches. ;o) Try an additional light brown Copic or some ochre color (like YR 27) when shading Copic yellows.

Stampingcountry said...

Such a lovely sympathy card! Your yellow flower looks fabulous against your soft blue background.

Jen Brum said...

What a beautiful card! I love that background and those flowers are gorgeous! Thanks for such a great sketch this week!

Jen Mitchell said...

I know words won't make it better, but I think you've done a fine job with this sketch. I love the look of the partial die-cut image and if only I could remember how to do it I just might try it some time!

Cindy Hall said...

I love the way this raised flower looks against the stenciled background. This is a fabulous card and a wonderful sketch design!

Narelle Farrugia said...

Your card is just stunning Karren - the stencilled background is so creative and effective. Your sketch was a total winner this week and if your card was in the gallery - I would totally pick it as a winner!

Barb Ghig said...

So gorgeous, Karren! I love the softness of your stenciled background, and your partial die cutting is just perfect with this bloom! I think you did an amazing job on 'your own' sketch!!!