Wednesday 4 May 2016

Blue Celebration

Hi and welcome to another fabulous sketch challenge from Freshly Made Sketches!  Today our hostess is the one-and-only Jen Mitchell and boy, do I love this sketch!



As soon as I saw the sketch I knew I wanted to make a card with a popped up frame and a die-cut sentiment.  And this is what I came up with, after two failed attempts:



I'm so much happier with this card.  For my first two attempts, I tried to go with warm colors as I always seem to steer towards the cooler colors.  So I used pink and purple watercolors for my background.  I just wasn't happy with the finished result so re-made the card using pink and purple ink blending.  Still not happy!  In the end, I scrapped both cards and started afresh, staying inside my comfort zone.  I loosely watercolored some Broken China ink onto a panel of watercolor paper.  Once that was dry, I splattered the same color ink onto the panel and then die-cut the frame.  I adhered all the layers onto a white card base, popping up the pierced frame.  For the sentiment, I die-cut the word using white cardstock and fun foam.  I cut the fun foam at both ends so the 'c' and tail of the 'e' would sit flat on the frame and the fun foam would support the rest of the letters.



And that's it!  Thanks for visiting and be sure to check out the gorgeous inspiration from the rest of the design team.

Products used:

Ink:  Broken China Distress Ink
Cardstock:  White, Watercolor
Dies:  Good Times (PTI), Pierced Rectangle Frames (MFT)

Cheers
Karren

10 comments:

Rosemary said...

this is beautiful, karren... love your take on the sketch!

I Card Everyone said...

It looks like a day at the beach, Karren!! Yes! Celebrate that!! Come ON warm weather!
Darling card - I think that sketch will move me, too!
=]

Linda Callahan said...

This is gorgeous! Looks like the waves,breaking on a beach for sure! I could celebrate that!

Jen Mitchell said...

Beautiful Karren! The background is fabulous (I love how you do those) and the sentiment is so carefully crafted I stand in awe of your attention to detail!

Petra Swart said...

Oh, this is sooooo beautiful, Karren!!! I really love the way you have done the watercolouring at a diagonal line and you got a wonderful look with the DI - such a lot of depth with the different intensities of the blue and the splattering!!! Yep, have to agree - it looks like a wave running out on the beach!!! Very creatively done!!!!!
Have a great day!!!!
Hugz

Aileen said...

Love it Karren, brilliant interpretation. Love it

Narelle Farrugia said...

Love it! I'm sure your other two cards were just a gorgeous as this one as you never create anything I don't like! The frame you've made is a very creative touch for this weeks sketch.

Jen Brum said...

What a great card Karren! I love that background! It's so gorgeous! Love the big sentiment too! Oh and that pierced frame! I really, really love that!!!!! Enabler!

Jen Timko said...

Oh my goodness.....the blue is perfect here! With the frame, on the angle.....sigh.....brilliant!!

Cindy Hall said...

I love how you used the frame for this sketch! Perfect! I really envy your water coloring skills. This is really an amazing card, and I love it in the blues!