Thursday 8 March 2018

Life is an Adventure

Hi and welcome!  I'm here with a card for the new challenge at Freshly Made Sketches.  This week our hostess is Jen Mitchell and she has a great sketch for us.

My card ended up very simple, but it didn't start out that way!



I decided that the sand dunes from the December My Monthly Hero Kit worked perfectly for the angled panel and the people on the flying carpet worked for the star element.  Those pieces were easy to pull together, even though both people and the mat are all separate images that required some masking, fussy cutting and partial die-cutting.  That's where the easy part ended!  I had originally created a sponged sunset scene for the background and flicked on white acrylic paint and let it dry.  I put the card together and what a hot mess!  I ended up cutting it all apart and walking away from it for a couple of days.



Then two days before the challenge was due to go live and I still didn't have a card, so I decided to revert to type and added the rescued pieces from the original card to a white card base and called it done!  What is hard to see in the photos is that I added three layers of foam tape behind both people to create a curved mat to look like it was flying. 



So for all that, my card is done!  I hope you'll check out the rest of the design team because their cards certainly don't look like they struggled 😄

Products used:

Stamps:  My Monthly Hero (Hero Arts)
Ink:  Black Licorice Hybrid
Cardstock:  White, X-Press It
Dies:  MMH (Hero Arts)
Accessories:  Copic Markers

Cheers
Karren



8 comments:

Cécile RIBON said...

Wow! What a fabulous take on this week's sketch ! totally amazing and so creative!

Jen Timko said...

There is no visible struggle here but I'm glad to know that I'm normal. So many times things get changed!! This is a cool image and perfectly colored as always.

Linda Callahan said...

Wow - you are a brave soul! I haven't even opened this set......you are amazing~ beautifully done - and totally looks like a flying carpet!

Barb Ghig said...

This is such a fabulous card, Karren! Beautiful Copic coloring, as always, and I love how you used the sand dunes! Love these cool magic carpet people, too!
Great idea to take it apart and set it aside for a few days...Look how well it worked out :)

Jen Brum said...

Wow Karren! That is some serious colouring! Amazing! I cannot imagine anything that you make being a hot mess! I think this card is so fun! Love the flying carpet! Sure wish I had one!!!

Jen Mitchell said...

What a story! So glad you got it all worked out and didn't give up on this gorgeous card (and very clever take on the sketch). Sometimes all it takes is a little time off from the design to figure out how it should all come together. And this came together perfectly!

Julia Aston said...

You'd never know you struggled with this Karren! What wonderful interesting stampings you used - lovely coloring on your flying carpet couple!

Narelle Farrugia said...

Oh this is fabulous! I adore the scene you've created and as always your colouring is perfection +++!